BOOST Tech to Build
This Action aligns with the following Calls to Action from the Circular Economy Action Agenda for Electronics
10. Integrate and advance decent work in the transition to a circular economy for electronics
8. Strategically plan and install sorting, pre-processing, and recycling operations
4. Guide and support new business models for environmental, financial, and social triple-win
The BOOST programme in Mombasa aims to push Kenya's circular economy. It consists of three pillars:
- Boost your technology: a factory where computers from the Netherlands and Belgium are refurbished with minimal impact on the environment, job opportunities are created and better working conditions are achieved.
- Boost your business: a testing ground for start-ups that develop digital and other solutions to societal problems.
- Boost your learning: a training and education centre for building knowledge and creating awareness. Here, ICT professionals are trained, organisations are educated and awareness is raised on e-waste management, sustainable working conditions and circular economy principles.
The BOOST programme aims to create 50 direct jobs and 300 indirect jobs by the year 2022. It will also build the capacity of around 1500 ICT related professionals across the value chain partners and raise awareness of at least 10.000 people in the Mombasa region to the health, safety and environmental hazards of e-waste and the importance of properly maintaining and disposing of it.
The Government of the Netherlands, MDF Training and Consultancy, CrossWise Works, GoodUp, Close The Gap, NITA.