Free Consumer Recycling Globally
This Action aligns with the following Calls to Action from the Circular Economy Action Agenda for Electronics
5. Encourage bring-back by consumers
6. Set up effective collection systems
This action supports the achievement of the Dell Technologies Advancing Sustainability Moonshoot Goal where, by 2030, for every product a customer buys, Dell will reuse or recycle an equivalent product.
Dell Technologies consumer recycling services make it easy for customers to trade-in, donate or responsibly recycle their used electronics of any brand for free. This also includes Dell Reconnect, a partnership with Goodwill Industries in the US that provides free electronics recycling, of any brand, at more than 2,000 participating Goodwill drop-off locations. Furthermore, these materials are recovered before they exit the economy and are reused or refurbished and resold to commodity markets.
Dell Technologies recovered 9.6% of products sold to customers (this percentage is the total units collected for recycling and reuse over the number of products sold) in 2021, which represents a 0.5 percentage point increase compared to the FY2020 baseline. Future objectives include:
- Increase internal and external awareness of takeback offerings through strategic communications and marketing.
- Embed takeback into standard offers, sales tools, incentives and GTM strategies.
- Streamline return flows, optimize tools and processes and improves data reporting.
- Introduce new approaches through internal innovation and industry collaboration.