Circular Economy Innovation - Scale360°
PACE Partners the World Economic Forum, the United Arab Emirates Ministry of Climate Change and Environment, the Chile Ministry of Environment, Accenture, Fashion for Good, Phillips, TriCiclos and WWF are contributing to the following Calls to Action from the Circular Economy Action Agenda:
- Leverage Digital Technologies for the Circular Transition (Capital Equipment, CTA 9)
- Guide and Support New Business Models for Environmental, Financial, and Social Triple-Win (Electronics, CTA 4; Textiles, CTA 4; Plastics, CTA 5)
- Incentivize and Support Product Design and Investment in Circularity (Electronics, CTA 1)
Ambition of Scale360°
Short-term: Fast-tracking Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) impact in the circular economy by supporting bottom-up innovation and entrepreneurship.
Long-term: Mobilize action among innovators, governments and private sector stakeholders to grow the ecosystem for circular 4IR technology innovation—and in doing so, support the achievement of the sustainable development goals.
Why do we need systemic approaches?
The linear economy is extremely wasteful, straining the planet’s resources. These are some of the resulting challenges:
- The extraction and processing of natural resources significantly contributes to global greenhouse gas emissions
- Only 9% of extracted materials are currently reused, the remainder being lost or wasted
- Digital, physical and biological technologies might offer solutions, but are currently not linked or scaled
How does SCALE360° contribute to accelerating the circular economy?
Scale360° is a global partnership between key stakeholders in government, business and civil society to assess specific marketplace challenges in local economies and design relevant interventions that stimulate the circular economy innovation within cities, countries, and regions. Coupled with these interventions, Scale360° fosters an active, global community on UpLink, the World Economic Forum’s first open platform for digital collaboration.
The Scale360° initiative, built during 2020, aims to leverage new digital technologies and innovations that have already revolutionized sectors like healthcare, mobility and education to accelerate the circular transition. Innovative approaches and new collaborators can reimagine the way materials and products flow within economies—moving away from the current “take-make-dispose” model towards a circular one.
What role do global partnerships play?
Scale360° partners work to build and scale solutions together with activities tailored to local needs. Advisory board members include government leaders, business executives, impact investors, and local experts who shape and scale the programme.
World Economic Forum (Leading Partner)
United Arab Emirates Ministries of the Prime Minister, Cabinet Affairs, Climate Change and Environment, and Artificial Intelligence, Chile Ministry of Environment, 2030 Water Resources Group, Accenture, Circular Valley, Circulate Capital, ENEL, Fashion for Good, Google, IDEO, Kearney, Majid Al Futtaim, Phillips, Polymateria, ScaleUpNation, SGInnovate, SOFOFA, TriCiclos, WWF